Houston Oil and Gas Training: The EKT Interactive Approach
We have a great Houston Oil & Gas Training team! We’ve learned from working with clients on complex projects that you must have a structured methodology or approach to make your oil and gas training project successful.
To have a successful, interactive oil and gas training program, you must start with content that is crisp, relevant and professional for the audience that you’re trying to influence.
There are a few different ways to achieve the desired content:
- Our editorial team, oil and gas training and subject matter experts with instructional design experience, can review your in-house course content for translation to an interactive or blended learning environment
- Our oil and gas training experts can rapidly customize our available content to suit your company’s specific training needs.
- We can lead a joint editorial team with your internal SME’s, leveraging the vast experience of our oil and gas training development team, to develop unique content from scratch.
Instructional Design Principles
Use instructional design principles to carefully define the audience and the best technique they need to learn and retain the material.
EKT Interactive incorporates the A-D-D-I-E methodology with enhancements specific to our experience developing custom oil and gas training programs.
Relevant Delivery Technologies
Relevant delivery technologies does not mean you eliminate the use of “instructor-led”. In a lot of applications instructor-led must be blended with technologies to create a successful oil and gas training program.
Our Houston Oil & Gas Training Team
MARTY STETZER, PRESIDENT, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN-DELIVERY
- Consultant to US and International oil and gas companies since 1986.
- 18 years management experience with Schlumberger, Superior Oil-Mobil, Wilson Industries and Exxon.
- 13 years of energy consulting experience with PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Worked with numerous national and international oil & gas company managements to help improve business performance across upstream, midstream and downstream operations.
- Active in the Society of Petroleum Engineers and often presents at other industry forums.
Click for more about Marty Stetzer.
PROCESS INDUSTRY AND OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE
- 38 years of experience in upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Deep processing industry expertise, a global perspective and training design capabilities.
- Career experience as a process engineer in the chemicals, refining and pipeline sectors for Phillips Petroleum, Diamond Shamrock and Northern Natural Gas. Business development with process automation and technology suppliers Emerson, Honeywell and i2.
- Leveraged his operations career with oil & gas leadership positions with KBC Advanced Technologies, IBM Global Business Services; Logica North America and Schlumberger Business Consulting.
- Holds an B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Notre Dame and an M.S. in Finance from the University of Houston. He has also completed post-graduate work at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management and Harvard Business School.
- Active in the AIChE, ISA, COS, NOIA, SPE and Oil Council.
DICK GHISELIN, UPSTREAM EDITOR, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, UPSTREAM CONTENT EXPERT AND EDITOR
- 35 years experience in oil field operations, publishing, information services and marketing.
- 30+ years of management experience with Schlumberger in a variety of international assignments.
- Developed instructor-lead oil and gas training on-boarding program for all Schlumberger new hires to help them quickly become productive in delivering a variety of technical services.
- Consulted with major oil field corporations in marketing communications campaigns, new business development, market research, brand repositioning, corporate identity and crisis communications.
- Registered petroleum engineer in Texas and Certified Business Communicator.
JOHN FARINA, UPSTREAM, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, UPSTREAM & PRODUCTION EXPERT
- 30+ years experience production and reservoir engineering.
- Production manager for a production and consulting company and as an independent consultant on projects around the world.
- Instructor for large oil companies, professional training companies, and at the University of Tulsa Continuing Education program.
- Recipient of two SPE Gulf Coast Section service awards and an SPE regional service award.
- Distinguished lecturer for the American Assoc. of Petroleum Geologists (1989) on subject of formation damage and its effect on well evaluation and performance.
BRUCE CARLILE, SENIOR ASSOCIATE, HOUSTON, TX
TESTING, INSPECTION, CERTIFICATION EXPERT
- 40 years of experience in all supply chain related areas, all hydrocarbons, limited agriculture commodities, consumer goods, & asset integrity management.
- 10 years of supply & trading, logistics endeavors with Shell Oil, Champlin Petroleum (subsidiary of Union Pacific).
- 30 years mainly as a Business Development Manager, traveling the USA & Western Canada for Intertek, & Bureau Veritas-Inspectorate in the marine testing/inspection business. Very active in the land-based shale plays.
- Started his own consulting company, Carlile Commodity Consulting in 2016. Active through research firms counseling with investors interested in the TIC Industry. Working with midstream, crude oil/condensate terminals for laboratory & commodity marketing, utilizing crude assay techniques.
- Active in COQA (Crude Oil Quality Association), ISHM, & his church.
ALEC SCHRADER, SENIOR ASSOCIATE, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT, PROCESS FACILITATION
- 30+ years training and services to the oil and gas business, including 19 years with Shell Oil and Shell Pipeline.
- Served as project leader for Shell Pipeline during multi-year effort to create all systems and processes needed to comply with new DOT requirements for operator qualification.
- Facilitated the development of curricula for oil & gas operations functions that covered technical, leadership and health and safety competencies.
- Coordinated development of competency requirements and tracking systems for oil & gas commercial functions, pipeline technical and leadership positions.
- Facilitated teams that mapped and enhanced processes for project engineering, land acquisition and business development.
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, DEEPWATER DRILLING & PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
- 35+ year career with ExxonMobil and BP in management and the the development and implementation of numerous innovations including advances into deepwater.
- Worked on the development of new product concepts such as the Tension Leg Production (TLP) platform. Addressed the challenges in TLP’s drag forces and vibrations induced by the high currents often present in deepwater.
- Managed Exxon’s Floating Drilling School and lead numerous oil and gas training courses.
- Headed the well control team at Exxon that trained drilling personnel and helped them deal with well control problems.
MICHAEL S. STRATHMAN, THE TRINITY GROUP, INC., HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, STRATEGY, PROCESS, & KNOWLEDGE
- Over 40 years experience in executive assignments in oil & gas upstream, midstream, and downstream businesses, and experienced in software and consulting.
- Experienced in application of technology to achieve business goals. Technology is most valuable when it results in customer satisfaction or bottom-line results.
- Advocate for leveraging knowledge and experience in oil and gas training programs. The oil and gas industry faces major challenges as the workforce changes.
- Authored papers and articles about business value of technology.
MATT APICELLA, SENIOR ASSOCIATE, HOUSTON, TX
ENERGY, CHEMICALS, UTILITY OPERATIONS, AND SUPPLY CHAIN
- Over 25 years experience in the industrial sector with Fortune 500 oil and gas, chemical, cement and utility companies.
- 20+ years management experience with Exxon, Mobil, Entergy, Cemex and Neville Chemical.
- 10 years energy consulting experience with Capgemini and independently.
- Worked with numerous energy companies to improve business performance. Sectors include Upstream, Midstream, Downstream, as well as Power Generation and Transmission.
- Active in Institute of Supply Management and regular guest speaker at industry workshops and forums.
- Holds MS and BS degrees in Chemical Engineering from University of Pittsburgh.
- Publication: Creating the Integrated Value Chain for Downstream Oil
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, WORKFORCE EFFECTIVENESS, RELIABILITY AND SAFETY
- 15 years experience in design engineering, application engineering, R&D, training & development, talent management and workforce improvements
- Co-authored and led Technology Engineering Development Program at Baker Hughes
- Credentials in advancing workforce effectiveness, reliability, safety, growth and sustainability in the oil & gas industry
- Active with Ocean Energy Safety Institute and STEM movement
JIM HOFFMAN, SR. FINANCE ASSOCIATE, DALLAS, TX
OIL & GAS LAND, ACCOUNTING & FINANCE CURRICULUM EXPERT
- 30 years experience in oil and gas training, energy management, corporate education and business software applications.
- Software experience includes leading upstream accounting, land and production software sales with Artesia Data Systems, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)and Oracle Energy.
- His “Intro to Upstream” classroom program has been conducted with hundreds of oil and gas companies, from small independents through super-majors.
- Frequent speaker at industry events, including the North American Petroleum Accounting Conference (NAPAC) and various Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS) events.
- Published in The Oil & Gas Investor and the Petroleum Accounting and Financial Management Journal.
KRISTI MALIK, SENIOR ASSOCIATE, HOUSTON, TX
MIDSTREAM, NATURAL GAS, POWER, TRADING, RISK AND COMPLIANCE
- 20 years experience in the midstream, gas and power industry in roles of increasing responsibility.
- Worked in senior roles with Accenture, Reliant Energy and NextEra.
- Back office experience in compliance. Front office experience in trading, managing risk, scheduling gas and power in multiple markets.
- Operations consulting in accounting, trading, risk management, compliance, customer service and gas pipeline measurement and operations.
- Consulting skills include process redesign, project management, six sigma, system requirements definition and design and implementation of facilitated workshops.
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, E-LEARNING,
- Over 10 years experience as a training and eLearning consultant, specializing in the oil and gas training industry.
- 34 years experience with ExxonMobil in IT, training and employee development in ExxonMobil’s refining and chemicals operations.
- Competencies include: Applying instructional design principles to eLearning to promote learner engagement and retention, and analyzing and optimizing complex training processes to meet the needs of the organization and the learners.
- Experience with various Learning Management Systems (LMS) and web rapid development tools.
SHANNON HART, INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN, HIGH-IMPACT FACILITATION
- 20 years experience working with organizations in the oil and gas industries as an accomplished and committed Performance Management Consultant.
- Experienced with facilitation, instructional design, coaching, change management, and team building in a variety of corporate cultures and content areas.
- She is known for her comfortable, interactive, and creative approach to working with groups.
- Oil and gas clients include Shell, BP, Marathon Oil, Transocean, ExxonMobil, and Chevron.
- Current projects include developing web-based oil and gas training modules on well control, cementing, and managed pressure drilling, facilitating leadership training for new E&P professionals, and supporting a Hydrocarbon Allocation accounting system implementation.
BRENT FLOYD, REMOTE TRAINING INSTRUCTOR, HOUSTON, TX
OIL & GAS INDUSTRY, PROJECT MANAGEMENT, REMOTE TRAINING
- Experienced project manager, skilled in analyzing system requirements and communicating the change impact to stakeholders in large global projects, using multi-disciplinary teams.
- 16 years experience with major oil & gas producers followed by 16 years consulting and solution delivery with Price Waterhouse and Schlumberger.
- In-depth knowledge in all phases of exploration and production operations.
- Instrumental in the development of Schlumberger’s remote oil and gas training capabilities, including development of their first audio and video enabled class room/instructor broadcast facility.
- Frequent lecturer world wide at industry, government, and company forums.
Learn More about Oil 101 – A Free Introduction to Oil and Gas.